Re: Preparations for scaling out - defaulting

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:44:32AM -0400, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> I agree with Michael here, I think we should look into defaulting based
> on auto-discovered information rather than creating the concept of
> profile or group which would still mean manual data entry.
>
> But we should probably leave this for after we introduce the hardware
> database (which we want for better Juju constraints).
>
> Cheers

Hi,

The issue is actually slightly larger than this.  In the case of a
freshly racked node we should be doing this:
 - Node is racked and powered on
 - Node is enlisted
 - Node is accepted
 - Node boots into commissioning
   - Environment tries to discover if it knows of it's own power type
     - If IPMI:
       - Request from MAAS sane defaults for the ipmi tables
       - Set the local IPMI parameters in the server BMC (akin to
         'burning into firmware')
       - Post back results.

However, for things such as PDU/CDU's and some other power management
types, this isn't going to be easily viable.  This means that we
probably need 'power type' templates, which can be set in both the
webui and crucially, the API.

This means that MAAS needs to be a 'master of information' and a
'consumer of information' for power control.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker