Re: Upgrading from 12.04 packaging in SRU

On Wednesday 22 August 2012 16:47:12 Andres Rodriguez wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> > When we release the cobbler-less SRU, we need to make sure it upgrades
> > from
> > the old setup properly.
>
> As it was agreed and discussed, SRU'ing is tricky as it would mean
> promoting dependencies to main in precise which are in universe, such as
> python-celery; besides the fact, of course, that doing so doesn't really
> apply to a SRU. We believe it is better to stay with PPA's.

Ok, I was under the impression we'd have an SRU.  I'm waiting for Francis to
comment.

> WHile I have not yet tested upgrades to a cobblerless MAAS, here are my
>
> thoughts:
> >  * ensure syncdb is run on startup
>
> This is being done.

Great.

> >  * cron jobs for image imports need to change (or is this actually
> >  backwards
> >
> > compatible?)
>
> This will need to change, but it is minimal change.

Should we edit users' crontabs directly?  I don't know what the policy is.

> >  * DHCP config - we should be able to leave Cobbler's in place, right?
> >  There>
> > is a script to generate a static one now though, it might be best to run
> > that.
> Why would we want to leave cobbler in place? When upgrading we will
> simply conflict/replace maas-provision which will remove the cobbler
> bits.

Not Cobbler, just the DHCP configs it generated.  We should absolutely replace
maas-provision though.

The problem is that the user may have created a custom template so overwriting
it is a bit obnoxious.  Our new config is quite a bit different (and static).

> >  * TFTP won't work until the new import script is run, or the existing
> >  images>
> > are moved around as the path has changed to be under /maas
>
> This will have to be run manually by the administrator.

Is there no chance of copying/moving files in the postinst?

Cheers.