Re: MAAS testing: maas - 0.1+bzr1170+dfsg-0+1184+117~ppa0~quantal1

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 09:41:35PM -0300, Diogo Matsubara wrote:
> The Calxeda chassis is now installed. There's a file to map their mac
> addresses to specific ip addresses. I could use ipmipower to power
> them on/off and ipmiconsole to access the console. I successfully boot
> 3 of those nodes and pxe booted them into the MAAS server. They
> enlisted fine, after I manually pxe booted them.
> After that I accepted them and they changed to commissioning. I then
> rebooted them using ipmipower but they didn't finish the commissioning
> process. Or does it take a long time to commission those arm nodes?

Could you paste the console output somewhere please? Commissioning
should be instant.

Is this the RTC bug? I sent you a list of workarounds on Friday and I'll
list them here again so that it's archived and for others:

1. The RTC needs to be correct. Boot the system into something usable,
set the system date and then run "hwclock --utc --systohc". This is bug
978127, should be fixed in cloud-init trunk, and is waiting on ephemeral
images being published that include this fix.

2. To enlist using a precise ephemeral image, you need the maas-enlist
SRU which is not yet published. This is tracked in bug 1056816. I've
just copied my PPA version to ppa:maas-maintainers/dailybuilds to help
with this (armhf build included). To use it, add to the bottom of
/usr/share/maas/preseeds/enlist_userdata two lines:

apt_sources:
 - source: "ppa:maas-maintainers/dailybuilds"

3. ipmi_si needs to be loaded without Intel-specific parameters. Looks
like this has now landed so a workaround should no longer be necessary.

4. Commissioning cannot correctly detect the IP address of the BMC. This
appears to be a firmware bug and I have reported it to the manufacturer.
This is tracked in bug 1061577. I hope a future firmware update will
fix this. Workaround: use the Web UI to set the BMC IP address correctly
after commissioning (and perhaps enlistment if MAAS starts setting it at
enlistment).

5. Use "juju bootstrap --constraints arch=any", since juju uses an arch
name of "arm" which MAAS doesn't currently understand and defaults to
"amd64". This is bug 1062340 and I'm working on a fix now.

> Since I had to manually pxe boot them, is there a way to make the
> bootcmd_default=bootcmd_pxe variable persistent across reboots?

I use ipmitool chassis bootdev pxe options=persistent. I'm not sure what
the ipmipower equivalent is. But it is possible to set it persistent
using IPMI.

Robie