Testing SRU/trunk packages in the QA Lab

Hi all,

I've been working in the QALab to test the SRU packages last week, here are the results.

= Executive summary =

The quantal SRU package and the package built from trunk are fine (all the integration tests pass).

The precise SRU package still has a couple of bugs but I was able to get all the integration tests to pass using workarounds which means that all the problems have been identified.

= Integration tests =

Diogo and I have improved the integration tests last week, we now test all the way up to a real-world juju deployment of mediawiki (we choose mediawiki over wordpress because the wordpress charm downloads stuff from github when it installs and the QALab is very restrictive in terms of external web access).

= Quantal SRU =

Using python-tx-tftp 0.1~bzr31-0ubuntu7~ppa1 and maas 0.1+bzr1304+dfsg-0ubuntu2~ppa1 (a package I've built in my ppa https://launchpad.net/~rvb/+archive/maas.quantal): all the integration tests pass.

= Trunk package =

Same result (success) for the "trunk package" (i.e. the one in the daily ppa).

= Precise SRU =

Using the package created by Julian in the experimental ppa (0.1+bzr1297+dfsg-0ubuntu1~12.04.2~ppa2), I found a a couple of problems, only one (#2) is new:

1. The dhcp server cannot access its config due to apparmor restrictions
This has already been reported by Julian: https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/12.04-nocobbler/+bug/1079030

Workaround: disable apparmor (sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor teardown)

2. Bug in our backport of the Django 1.4 method prefetch_related
The error: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1362899/
This can be exercised by running the test suite on a precise instance, install 1.3.1-4ubuntu1.4~precise1+ppa1 (with includes the backport of prefetch_related) and run the test suite of the 1.2 branch. I /think/ this is because we need the feature introduced in https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/17003 for prefetch_related to work. This will need more investigation to be fixed properly.

Workaround: comment out the calls to prefetch_related in the MAAS code (these calls are just optimisations).

3. We need to use the juju package from the PPA ppa:juju/pkgs instead of the one in precise, otherwise we get that error http://paste.ubuntu.com/1362994/. I seem to remember that there is a known bug in precise juju which forces us to include a port somewhere in the config file but I cannot seem to find that bug, please point it out to me if you have the link.

Workaround: install juju from the ppa ppa:juju/pkgs.

So I used all the workarounds described above and I got all the integration tests to pass, which means that the finish line is in sight :).

See it for yourself: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1364846/

- In the output of 'juju status' (link above), the fact that the nodes are named node-00e081ddd599.local in one part and node-00e081ddd599.master in another part is due to bug 1078744 which is already fixed in the 1.2 branch.

- In the output of 'juju status' (link above), the fact that the nodes are named using mac-based names (instead of using 5-letter generated hostnames) is also something that is fixed in the 1.2 branch.

The next precise package to be created will be free of these bugs.

Cheers,

R.

Follow ups