Re: Testing SRU/trunk packages in the QA Lab

On 17/11/12 23:16, Raphaël Badin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been working in the QALab to test the SRU packages last week, here
> are the results.
>
> = Executive summary =
>
> The quantal SRU package and the package built from trunk are fine (all
> the integration tests pass).
>
> The precise SRU package still has a couple of bugs but I was able to get
> all the integration tests to pass using workarounds which means that all
> the problems have been identified.

\o/

> = Integration tests =
>
> Diogo and I have improved the integration tests last week, we now test
> all the way up to a real-world juju deployment of mediawiki (we choose
> mediawiki over wordpress because the wordpress charm downloads stuff
> from github when it installs and the QALab is very restrictive in terms
> of external web access).

Excellent work guys, thanks.

> = Quantal SRU =
>
> Using python-tx-tftp 0.1~bzr31-0ubuntu7~ppa1 and maas
> 0.1+bzr1304+dfsg-0ubuntu2~ppa1 (a package I've built in my ppa
> https://launchpad.net/~rvb/+archive/maas.quantal): all the integration
> tests pass.
>
> = Trunk package =
>
> Same result (success) for the "trunk package" (i.e. the one in the daily
> ppa).
>
> = Precise SRU =
>
> Using the package created by Julian in the experimental ppa
> (0.1+bzr1297+dfsg-0ubuntu1~12.04.2~ppa2), I found a a couple of
> problems, only one (#2) is new:
>
> 1. The dhcp server cannot access its config due to apparmor restrictions
> This has already been reported by Julian:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/12.04-nocobbler/+bug/1079030
>
> Workaround: disable apparmor (sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor teardown)
>
> 2. Bug in our backport of the Django 1.4 method prefetch_related
> The error: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1362899/
> This can be exercised by running the test suite on a precise instance,
> install 1.3.1-4ubuntu1.4~precise1+ppa1 (with includes the backport of
> prefetch_related) and run the test suite of the 1.2 branch.
> I /think/ this is because we need the feature introduced in
> https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/17003
>  for prefetch_related to work.  This will need more investigation to be
> fixed properly.

I've fixed it, it was some code I had missed in the original backport.
There's a new package available (by the time you read this) in the
experimental PPA.

> Workaround: comment out the calls to prefetch_related in the MAAS code
> (these calls are just optimisations).
>
> 3. We need to use the juju package from the PPA ppa:juju/pkgs instead of
> the one in precise, otherwise we get that error
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/1362994/.
> I seem to remember that there is a known bug in precise juju which
> forces us to include a port somewhere in the config file but I cannot
> seem to find that bug, please point it out to me if you have the link.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/972829

We need this fix SRUed to precise ASAP, I will poke the appropriate people.

> Workaround: install juju from the ppa ppa:juju/pkgs.
>
> So I used all the workarounds described above and I got all the
> integration tests to pass, which means that the finish line is in sight :).
>
> See it for yourself: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1364846/

\o/

> - In the output of 'juju status' (link above), the fact that the nodes
> are named node-00e081ddd599.local in one part and
> node-00e081ddd599.master in another part is due to bug 1078744 which is
> already fixed in the 1.2 branch.
>
> - In the output of 'juju status' (link above), the fact that the nodes
> are named using mac-based names (instead of using 5-letter generated
> hostnames) is also something that is fixed in the 1.2 branch.
>
> The next precise package to be created will be free of these bugs.

I have refreshed the package in the experimental PPA, it's now at revno
1303, so should include these fixes.

Cheers