Re: Loose ends while finishing up docs for 12.10-stabilization milestone.

On 20/11/12 21:38, Gavin Panella wrote:
>>> - Update setup.py to put maas-import-pxe-files somewhere
>>>   else... perhaps. Same with the other maas-import-* scripts.
>>
>> What's the rationale for that?
>
> I don't think anyone ought to use these scripts. They're an
> implementation detail. Let's not miss the opportunity to remove them
> from the public interface of MAAS.
>
>>> - Remove man/maas-import-pxe-files.8.
>>
>> I think this should be updated, not removed.  It's a handy tool to have
>> around to run manually if necessary and the man page can/should explain
>> that it's normally run automatically but can also be run manually if
>> necessary.
>
> Nick has put the source document into doc/man so that this is
> generated automatically, which is better than having the "binary" in
> man/. However, I think it's worth putting maas-import-* somewhere well
> out of the PATH, and not telling anyone about them, including removing
> man pages. I predict they'll be albatrosses around our necks if we
> leave them somewhere readily discoverable.

I'm really not sure why you think that, can you expand some more?
Personally I can only see good things about keeping it around.  Sure, we
can say it's unsupported and not to depend on its continued existence,
but having a manual tool as a backup is rarely bad.