Re: Precise → Precise SRU candidate upgrade test

Hi Julian,

After a bit of investigation I think I found the problem. The problem is
that when the maas-ipmi-autodetect script tries to obtain the IPMI IP
Address from the BMC, 0.0.0.0 is being returned. However, the IP Address in
the BMC is set correctly. So the real issue is not in the detection script,
but rather it seems to be related to how the BMC cards might be exporting
the data to the modules, as the same values were obtained with IPMI tool.

root@maas-enlisting-node:/# bmc-config --checkout | grep IP_Address

# will choose to set "Static" for the "IP_Address_Source" and set the

# appropriate "IP_Address", "MAC_Address", "Subnet_Mask", etc. for the
machine.

        IP_Address_Source                             Use_DHCP

        IP_Address                                    0.0.0.0

        Default_Gateway_IP_Address                    0.0.0.0

        Backup_Gateway_IP_Address                     0.0.0.0

root@maas-enlisting-node:/# ipmitool lan print | grep IP

IP Address Source       : DHCP Address

IP Address              : 0.0.0.0

IP Header               : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10

Default Gateway IP      : 0.0.0.0

Backup Gateway IP       : 0.0.0.0

So what I did was to try to change the network source to Static, and then
back to DHCP. Once I changed to static, the IP address was shown correctly.
Then I changed it back to DHCP and the IP address was shown correctly as
well. I then try to enlist/commission all over again, and this time the IP
address was obtained correctly, hence the power parameters were configured
correctly. This, however, only happened in one of the machines, as I wasn't
able to reproduce this in the other 2 I was testing with. See below:

ubuntu@maas-enlisting-node:~$ sudo bmc-config --commit
--key-pair="Lan_Conf:IP_Address_Source=Static"

ubuntu@maas-enlisting-node:~$ sudo bmc-config --checkout | grep IP_Address

# will choose to set "Static" for the "IP_Address_Source" and set the

# appropriate "IP_Address", "MAC_Address", "Subnet_Mask", etc. for the
machine.

IP_Address_Source                             Static

IP_Address                                    192.168.2.111

Default_Gateway_IP_Address                    192.168.2.111

Backup_Gateway_IP_Address                     0.0.0.0

ubuntu@maas-enlisting-node:~$ sudo bmc-config --commit
--key-pair="Lan_Conf:IP_Address_Source=Use_DHCP"

ubuntu@maas-enlisting-node:~$ sudo bmc-config --checkout | grep IP_Address

# will choose to set "Static" for the "IP_Address_Source" and set the

# appropriate "IP_Address", "MAC_Address", "Subnet_Mask", etc. for the
machine.

IP_Address_Source                             Use_DHCP

IP_Address                                    192.168.2.111

Default_Gateway_IP_Address                    192.168.2.111

Backup_Gateway_IP_Address                     0.0.0.0

So I have proposed a fix [1], [2], in which it will "reset" (as above) the
network source if the IP address is 0.0.0.0. This is probably the same
issue as Narinder was having.

Cheers.

[1]:
https://code.launchpad.net/~andreserl/maas/1.2_reset_ipmi_network_source/+merge/137279