Re: Testing MAAS packages before landing

On 17 February 2014 00:52, Julian Edwards <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16/02/14 20:13, Gavin Panella wrote:
>> Following on from
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~allenap/maas/tftp-rebind-on-netif-change/+merge/206060:

>>> FTR it's a total piece of cake to do this.
>>>
>>> Get the packaging branch and at its top level dir type:
>>>
>>> bzr builddeb
>>>
>>> And that's it :)  The packages will be placed in ../build-area/
>>>
>>> You may need to edit a couple of things:
>>> 1. Set the revno in the top debian/changelog version if it's not new enough
>>> 2. For speed's sake, edit debian/rules and find the reference to lp:maas in
>>> the get-orig-source rule and change it to use your local trunk branch.
>>
>> This is not a piece of cake ;)
>
> Oh come on!

There are several opportunities for omission or error. Until there's a
`make a-package-from-this-here-branch-wot-i-am-editing` command, or
similar, it's going to remain that way. `make -C acceptance build` is
the closest to that, that I know of.

It's also not documented in lp:maas.

I've been burnt many times with Debian packaging, so I'm unconvinced at
any proclamation of ease. I packaged crochet recently and discovered, I
think, three different ways of doing it, with varying degrees of
automation and "rightness", and Andres had to fix what I'd done. It's
painful. None of which is your fault, but I want to illustrate that when
you say this is a piece of cake, I imagine a cake full of worms.

>> I farted around trying to get the above to work, and I nearly got there.
>> I think. You can never really be sure with packaging.
>>
>> Unfortunately, Chrome decided to die just as I finished my original,
>> detailed, email, but I'm too annoyed right now to go through and
>> reproduce it all again.
>>
>> It kept failing on the signing part, which I don't care about anyway,
>> but I wasn't able to penetrate the 7 Levels Of Arcane to figure out how
>> to get around it.
>
> You don't need signed packages, forget it.  I should have mentioned it
> above.

Yeah, I don't want signed packages, but I can't figure out how to turn
the damned things off.

>> Then I remembered good old acceptance/Makefile in lp:maas. Some tweaks
>> to get it to work with newer versions of LXC [1] and I was in business
>> (`make -C acceptance build`).
>>
>> Now I've run out of time (even more so than when I wrote my first
>> email), but I'll see what I can do tomorrow. This seems to be the story
>> of me and Debian packaging [2].
>>
>> Gavin.
>>

>> [1] https://code.launchpad.net/~allenap/maas/update-acceptance-for-trusty/+merge/206607
>>
>> [2] Why have one simple command, when you could have three? How about
>> some noodling around with some config files first? Don't forget the
>> noodling part, soft-fleshed padawan, or nothing's going to work. Smile!
>>

> What is wrong with "bzr builddeb" as your single command?

I couldn't figure out how to get it to shut up about signing things.