Re: Getting rid of bootresources.yaml (sort of)

On 04/15/2014 08:06 PM, Gavin Panella wrote:

> Given that we have YAML now, let's not switch. JSON has it's own
> problems too, like trailing commas, and being about as readable as XML.
> The schema will also help command-line users to quickly iterate if there
> are errors in the syntax or structure.

My point is that YAML makes it easy to break the syntax _without
noticing_.  I wholeheartedly prefer an instant refusal over a smart
salute followed by a charge straight into the Russian cannon... like the
one that cost me so many hours last week.  After that experience, and
the confusing inconsistencies in permitted formatting, I can't help
seeing the format as a bit of a failed experiment for us.

That's not to say we can't keep the YAML for consistency with
pserv.yaml, but I don't see it simplifying anything either.  That's
assuming we'll no longer be needing BootConfig or BootConfigFixture —
there's no point caching the data structure, or writing it out to a file
for tests, once we start treating it as a parameter.

Jeroen