Re: Fixing static DHCP

On 23/05/14 09:05, Julian Edwards wrote:
> Based on the discussions here, I suggest these model changes:
>
> Network table gains columns:
>  subnet, broadcast, router
>
> New table "IPAddress" with columns:
>  * Node (FK), mac_address (FK), ip_address (IPAddress field type), network
> (FK), type (enum)
>
> "type" is "allocated" (by maas) or fixed (by admin), can be extended later if
> we need.

How does this let me specify a custom machine (not managed by MAAS) that
I want in the DHCP? I.e. I have an appliance that I want to show up at
192.168.9.9, I want to tell DHCP about its MAC, name and IP. It is not a
node in MAAS database so an FK to node+mac won't work.

Instead, I think you need:

 * to split out NIC from Node so you can tag and mark up data about each
interface on the Node

    Table  NIC
     * MAC
     * ip_address
     * tags
     * relevant metadata - bandwidth etc
     * in future, details of things like bonding

 * to add a table for custom machines I want to tell MAAS about

    Table DHCPHost
      * mac
      * ip_address
      * name
      * custom_dhcp_config (stuff that gets dumped into the DHCP config
file entry for this host, validated for injection attack safety

 * to add a table for the on-demand additional IP address allocations,
which would be bound to Node

   Table Extra_IP
     * node (FK)
     * mac (this *might* be an extra IP for the same NIC but might also
be a fake mac for the container / VM)
     * ip_address

Make sense?

Mark