Re: Allow API to use <system_id | hostname> for all operations that currently require the system_id

On 30/05/14 13:53, Jeroen Vermeulen wrote:
> On 2014-05-30 12:58, Julian Edwards wrote:
>
>> This might be overkill, but we could introduce a new table that has
>> alternate
>> names in it, such as:
>
> That does strike me as overkill.  If the hostname is what these users
> think of as a node's user-assigned identification, then I'd rather
> facilitate that than create yet another identifier.

The system always needs a unique hostname to MAAS.

MAAS needs a domain, call that .maas.

So every machine can always be found with hostname.maas.

The machine might also have a preferred name, and a need that reverse
lookups go to the preferred name.

So, we'll need a "public DNS name" for each machine, that *reverse* DNS
lookups will find. MAAS could / should verify that reverse / forward DNS
entries match in this case.

So I'd suggest just adding an FQDN field to the place(s) we store an IP
address. That lets the user give a public FQDN for that address, which
we will use for reverse lookups of that IP. MAAS should be verifying
regularly that the forward lookup from that domain does in fact map to
that same IP address.

Looking up hostname.maas still works, it will give you an IP address.
Looking up the reverse of the IP address would give you (at least) the
FQDN, and possibly also hostname.maas (I can't remember if a reverse
lookup can give multiple names).

Mark