Re: Merging MACAddress and Interface

On 25/08/15 05:57, Blake Rouse wrote:

>> In practice will it have a NULL MAC or the same MAC as the parent
>> interface?
> I am working on this now, it would be best to have the MAC the same as the
> parent that way the lease parsing can easily identify the interface to
> update its assigned ip address.

<Node>-<Interface> is the correct abstraction.

Don't be too precious about MACAddresses:

 * bonds do not HAVE to use the same MAC as the primary member
 * vlans and alias interfaces should not be awkward in the model

So I would have MAC as a property of Interface, but make it unique and
optional.

Bonds would be interfaces that either have a unique MAC assigned or a
flag saying which member they take their MAC from.

VLAN and ALIAS interfaces would need pointers to their parent interface
and use its MAC.

You could have .mac as a property on the interface object which is smart
enough to figure out what the MAC is without stuffing it in duplicate in
the DB every time.

Backwards compatibility should be straightforward as Mike pointed out.

Mark