Re: maas w/ virtual machines

Hi John,

   Thanks for your feedback.

> I think I did get the right string, and the first thing it did was kill
my maas-region-controller VM. I assume it is trying to power cycle
everything so that they PXE boot and get registered? But it needs to be
aware (somehow) that it could itself be in that VM set. I can probably use
the prefix filter, though that does require planning ahead on node names.

To me, this is unexpected behavior.

My guess is: when we add a chassis, we go through all the VMs we found to
set the boot order. In doing so, we call "virsh define" with the <boot
dev=.../> elements in the XML reordered to (network, hd). It's possible
that when this happens, the node automatically powers off (if the XML is
different?). We should not be doing any type of explicit power control when
adding a chassis.

I agree with your concerns regarding the observability of chassis discovery.

> As an aside, what does "Keep network configuration during commissioning"
actually mean? Does it mean "keep the configuration I set before running
commissioning"? Does it mean "save the values that are determined while
configuring"? Does it mean "ignore the values you determine during
configuration"? I wasn't able to find any help text or online documentation
about them. (quick googling for those strings just shows the release page
where they were added, but doesn't explain what they actually do.)

These options are new in 1.9. When you recommission a node, its networking
configuration is recreated from scratch based on what was found during
commissioning. If, after commissioning the node the first time, you've
configured VLAN interfaces, bonds, aliases, etc - and you want to
recommission for other reasons, you might not want to repeat that work.

Regards,
Mike