Re: maas w/ virtual machines

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Mike Pontillo <mike.pontillo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi John,
>
>    Thanks for your feedback.
>
> > I think I did get the right string, and the first thing it did was kill
> my maas-region-controller VM. I assume it is trying to power cycle
> everything so that they PXE boot and get registered? But it needs to be
> aware (somehow) that it could itself be in that VM set. I can probably use
> the prefix filter, though that does require planning ahead on node names.
>
> To me, this is unexpected behavior.
>
> My guess is: when we add a chassis, we go through all the VMs we found to
> set the boot order. In doing so, we call "virsh define" with the <boot
> dev=.../> elements in the XML reordered to (network, hd). It's possible
> that when this happens, the node automatically powers off (if the XML is
> different?). We should not be doing any type of explicit power control when
> adding a chassis.

No we turn the VM's off as they should be so MAAS can commission them. That
is why the prefix is given. Identifying that MAAS is on the VM is not
possible as we only have the VM controller and no information about what is
in the VM at that time. MAAS in a VM is also a developer or testing use
case, in production MAAS will be on a physical machine controlling physical
machines.