Re: Buildbot and compiler warnings

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Sergei Golubchik<sergii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Would be great to get us to compile without any warnings. The Drizzle
>> people already compile with -pedantic -Werror, so we are trailing
>> behind there!
>
> Just to make a statement (and not to start a flame war:) -
> I strongly believe that "zero warnings at the highest warning level" is
> a very silly goal to strive for. Well, if one's really bored and have
> nothing else to do...

Well, if I started a new project from scratch, it sounds to me like a
reasonable "coding guideline" to follow. Of course, with new compilers
on new platforms you could run into new warnings, but that could be
seen as a good thing and opportunity for improvement.

In an old codebase with warnings already there... yes, we probably
have more important things to do. It doesn't mean it's a silly goal,
just that we realistically will not be working on it.

Then again, this is an Open Source project. Removing warnings and
other cleanup tasks are actually good activities for someone to get
into MariaDB development. There's still some overhead for the captains
to mentor and review that work, but that much we should be able to
spend on such activities, if there really was someone doing it.

henrik

--
email: henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel:   +358-40-5697354