Re: Buildbot and compiler warnings

Hi, Henrik!

On Aug 11, Henrik Ingo wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Sergei Golubchik<sergii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Would be great to get us to compile without any warnings. The
> >> Drizzle people already compile with -pedantic -Werror, so we are
> >> trailing behind there!
> >
> > Just to make a statement (and not to start a flame war:) - I
> > strongly believe that "zero warnings at the highest warning level"
> > is a very silly goal to strive for. Well, if one's really bored and
> > have nothing else to do...
>
> Well, if I started a new project from scratch, it sounds to me like a
> reasonable "coding guideline" to follow. Of course, with new compilers
> on new platforms you could run into new warnings, but that could be
> seen as a good thing and opportunity for improvement.

Not at all. I should've provided an example in my first email.
How about a "letter 'o' frequency" to "letter 'a' frequency" closer to
1.618, the golden ratio. Is it a reasonable coding guideline to follow ?
What if you started a new project ?

There are certain warnings and classes of warnings that I don't want to
see in the code, right. But there are many others - fixing them only
obfuscates the code, adds ugly hacks (and long comments /* we have to do
it this way bla-bla-bla otherwise gcc complains that bla-bla-bla */).
And, true, fixing warnings may also uncover bugs behind them - but if
I'll have time to waste I'd better go to Vegas, I'll have better chances
there anyway.

Again, to avoid misunderstandings, I'm not against fixing warnings :)
I just don't like absolute rules. "Joins are slow", "no mutexes in the
code", "zero warnings when all -W* are enabled", and so on.

Regards / Mit vielen Grüßen,

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /   Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxx>