Re: Documentation for new features in MariaDB

Hi everyone,

We have gone through some of the same wiki vs. real doc thinking on Tungsten
that has come up here in the list.  Our conclusion was that you need to do
documentation properly right from the start.  This includes:

* Pick one technology and use it consistently.
* Ensure you can deal with open source vs. commercial issues from one source
copy
* Ensure you can deal with product versions
* Develop a stable build and publication process

In our case we use docbook, which I think is pretty good for a number of
reasons, not least of all it's very stable.  Our tech pubs guy Tommi
Takkunen-Lauri put together an excellent writing guide that makes editing
docbook trivial even for beginners.  I can provide a copy directly if
anybody is interested.

For MariaDB, I think two good principles would be:

1.) Assume the docs will be completely rewritten over a period of time.
There's no short cut.  Start writing your documentation now according to the
structure and technology you want in the end.

2.) Do not use the MySQL documentation structure as a model.  It has become
an impenetrable thicket.  Just as one example, the chapter on replication is
almost unreadable because there's an unclear division between wanting to
provide reference material and wanting to provide a task-oriented
description of replication setup.

In the short term, MariaDB perhaps should start with an
installation/configuration guide, and release notes.  The release notes
would contain a list of MariaDB extensions and/or differences.  This will
hold the line until you can document SQL syntax, system variables,
replication, etc., more fully.

My $0.02, Robert