Re: Documentation for new features in MariaDB

Note: I strive to post a summary of MariaDB things discussed at MP
company meeting last week.

Knowing more about the vision for the askmonty.org knowledgebase, I
thought picking up this thread is appropriate:

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Henrik Ingo<henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just to make it clear: Over time we of course need to have a full
> independent manual of MariaDB, which can then be in any format and
> written with any tools our technical writers prefer.

...to summarize what (relevant to this) was said about the
knowledgebase (still in development), Monty's and Bryan's vision is
for it to be
- a collection of Question +  Answer articles on MariaDB, but
extendable to articles in general.
- it is not *one* book, many entry points, many "table of contents".
Bryan calls this a "forest".
- can function as a reference manual: there are articles that describe
MariaDB functionality as detailed as a reference manual does, and
these can be collected into table of contents separately for MariaDB
5.1, 5.2...

The knowledgebase will be used Creole markup. I believe Daniel already
that Mediawiki markup is an ok interim solution.

It seems to me if KB is the ultimate goal, then starting to write the
reference manual on askmonty.org wiki is a good start.

For now, we should aim at documenting the new features we produce,
both as release notes and as an incomplete reference manual (complete
when read as an addon to MySQL manual).

henrik

--
email: henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx