Re: Windows installer kick-off

Hi Peter

On 14/10/2009, at 6:19 PM, Peter Laursen wrote:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 01:41, Arjen Lentz <arjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 14/10/2009, at 8:44 AM, Peter Laursen wrote:
The billion dollar question is: what options should a config wizard (ideally) provide?
.
base configuration (memory requirements, #of_connections assumed): use: mini, midi, medium. large, huge --template
default storage engine: MyISAM, Maria, XtraDB, PBXT

InnoDB (XtraDB), that's the only mature transactional one from the above list.
Also set sql_mode=TRADITIONAL

both are actually what the original installer does for WIndows already.

NOT TRUE!! The config wizard has option to 'use strict mode' or not. Also there is an option to select MyISAM versus InnoDB. When did you install on Windows last time using the .msi from MySQL.

The Sun/MySQL installer asks whether you're going to use transactions, and if so sets InnoDB as the default. The default is also for traditional mode, although you can indeed untick that.

I don't quite see the cause for your agressive response, you may wish to reassess that.

default charset: latin1, utf8, custom

I left latin1 in the baseline config, but with comments to easily go to utf8 when needed.

enable slow log: yes|no

Yes, with a few extra options from the extensions, such as query_plan and the rate limiter.

In the config wizard of a basic Windows installer? Come down to Earth, please!

You were asking what the new MariaDB installer should provide, so I answered that.

enable general log: yes|no

never.

I did not get you

Don't enable the general log from the installer, ever.

enable query cache: yes|no

yes but small.

.. what else is important?

We made a sane baseline config that's in the debian/ubuntu package tests already.

OK .. Arjen .. then you can easily write a config wizard for Windows too?

Unfortunately the *nix installers don't do anything fancy, they simply put a sensible baseline config in place. E.g. this is a static config, but it'll work on all systems and provides extra commented info for people to easily adjust stuff.

What you could do is use this same config on Windows, but ask the few extra questions that you can, the key ones being:
 - character sets
 - root password

the simpler it is, the better.
In the end, a production config needs to be custom tuned anyway and making a wizard tool more elaborate just distracts from the fact that such tuning is required. That's why I'm suggesting just a sensible baseline setup.

I'd be happy to give you the one we have, it's also in the ourdelta- mariadb51-2 branch on launchpad. I actually want to place it upstream in MariaDB instead of the obsolete/crap my-*.cnf files. I'll discuss that with Kristian/Sergey. If that happens, you'll have the latest version always handy, and can easily tweak the few extra settings (like charset) that the windows installer would be able to ask.

Arjen: This is not at all helpful! Let us try together to list what requirements are for a Config Wizard for Windows.

You asked questions, I responded. Now blaming me for you not asking what you wanted to know is a tad rude, Peter.
Chill out already.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Exceptional Services for MySQL at a fixed budget.

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org