Re: bzr commit into MariaDB 5.1, with Maria 1.5:maria branch (knielsen:2785)

Hi Timour

On 14/12/2009, at 11:40 PM, Timour Katchaounov wrote:
Do you think that it is reasonable that all such projects should follow the approach you suggest, and internally embed the libraries they use (or parts
thereof)?

I did not suggest this, I was following the existing way of doing it from MySQL, and stated its reasoning. I dislike it as much as anybody else here, so questioning/arguing me over it is not going to solve the problem.

What you need to do is invalidate the original reasoning for embedding libraries into the tree. The key aspect as I understand it is availability of the correct version on some build platforms, particularly older distros. That's a technical aspect, not an arbitrary choice by anyone that you can just change by arguing. However, distros have changed since the decision long ago, and so the assertions may no longer hold true. We can investigate that and that way perhaps be able to declare the issue obsolete!

Which other external libraries are currently still embedded into the source tree?
For each, let's identify why, and in any case try to remove them.
If that works out, major win!

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Exceptional Services for MySQL at a fixed budget.

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: packages for MySQL and MariaDB @ http://ourdelta.org