Re: request for advice on managing a mysql patch in bzr

Hi Mark,

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:14:14 -0800, MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am getting ready to publish facebook patches for mysql 5.1. We use
> git internally and are based on MySQL 5.1.44. We intend to stay
> current with 5.1 releases. What is the best way to manage the code in
> launchpad across new releases of official MySQL. My current plan is:
>
> 1) import MySQL 5.1.44, commit
> 2) apply patches from my git repo to my bzr repo, commit after each one
> 3) publish
>
> But there will soon be a release of 5.1.45 or 5.1.46 and I don't want
> to repeat the steps above each time that happens. Do I just publish a
> large patch for 5.1.44 -> 5.1.4X and get on with my work? Is there a
> better way?

I've recently been using the bzr pipeline plugin, and I think it may be
what you're looking for.

It's rather similar in concept to quilt, but with the added bonus of
each "patch" is revision controlled.

It also has the benefit of each rebase on a new version uses bzr merge
algorithms, so it should mean less work.

Check out "Maintaining a series of patches against software from
tarballs" over at http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/BzrPipeline

--
Stewart Smith