Re: oqgraph in mariadb - integration work

Hi Serg

On 01/04/2010, at 12:55 AM, Sergei Golubchik wrote:
On Mar 31, Arjen Lentz wrote:
On 31/03/2010, at 11:22 PM, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
So my preference would be to make it a built-in/regular as it will
make adopton and subsequent use much easier.

Understand, unfortunately I am out of cycles to look into changing this (I think it requires some (probably simple) changes in at least plug.in and mysql-test-run.pl). But I personally have no strong opinion one way or the
other.

Ya should be same as PBXT then, I should think?

The difference is that PBXT is a general purpose storage engine, while
OQGraph is a specialized one. If a new user will try to use it as a
general purpose engine and hit the spot where OQGraph does not perform
well, he will be annoyed and dissapointed with both OQGraph and MariaDB. On the other hand, if somebody needs the functionality of OQGraph - what
makes the engine special - he can issue one INSTALL PLUGIN, it is not
too difficult.

In other words, I think that having it enabled by default will make the adopton easier, indeed, but it is not the kind of adoption you wanted to
have for OQGraph - it's something that ends in a few minutes, leaves a
bad aftertaste, and the "adopter" never comes back.

It's the same with NDB in 5.1 - it is disabled by default for a reason.

That's my opinion.

And I reckon it's a good opinion, well thought through.
A simple INSTALL PLUGIN is not a real hindrance, with everything else already in place.
Let's do that for the upcoming time and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Exceptional Services for MySQL at a fixed budget.

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: packages for MySQL and MariaDB @ http://ourdelta.org