Re: Summary of discussion about MariaDB future and release plans

Hi!

Henrik> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Peter Zaitsev <pz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Inventing  your own MariaDB 5.2 is very confusing, seriously
>>
>> Are fixes in MySQL 5.1.47 in MariaDB 5.2.0  ?       Requirement to go and
>> check the docs all the time is inconvenient.

Henrik> What you say here is a very good use case to check proposals against.
Henrik> Your point apparently is, some of your customers may suffer from a bug
Henrik> and you know this was fixed in MySQL 5.1.47. Now it is helpful for you
Henrik> if you can automatically know which MariaDB, Percona Server versions
Henrik> the same fix will be found in.

Henrik> If it was called MariaDB 5.2.47, would this be any more helpful? Or
Henrik> are you insisting it must be MariaDB 5.1.47 (with possible 5.1, 5.2 or
Henrik> 5.3 type of differentiation appended to that with some tag, like
Henrik> mariadb-5.1.47_2nd_edition-...)

This wouldn't solve the problem with MySQL 5.5, which has exactly the
same problems.

Trying to keep same version number over different branches doesn't
make much sence.  I don't know of any project that has ever done.

Regards,
Monty