Re: Summary of discussion about MariaDB future and release plans

Hi!

Peter> Henrik,
Peter> 5.2.47  is a lot more clear for me though it relays on the fact MySQL chose
Peter> not to release 5.2 themselves

Yes.

Peter> What are you going to do with 5.5 as it comes out ?  Create 5.6 and hope
Peter> MySQL will never release such a version ?

It depends on how fast MySQL 5.6 comes out.  As this is 2+ years in
the future, we don't have to concern ourselves with that now.

We can always use something like MariaDB 5.5b.1, 5.5c.1.

Peter> I think it is confusing.

We don't have much choice just now than wait and see and do the best
of it.

Peter> I also think this is moving away from what things really are  MariaDB 5.2.0
Peter> is based on 5.1.44 (whatever) and it just includes more changes than
Peter> MariaDB 5.1.44

That has been true for every MySQL release ever now and will be in the
future.
You can also argue that MariaDB 5.1 is based on MySQL 5.0 + changes
and because of that we should base the version numbers on 5.0 version
numbers.

What is important is that each different main release (5.1, 5.2 etc)
have their own development phase and are thus independent releases.

We will also keep each main version up to date for a long time (which is
what distributions require nowadays).

Peter> There is also MariaDB 5.3 which also may be based on the
Peter> same base MySQL version though have even more changes.

The right way to look at it is to say that MariaDB 5.3 is based on
MariaDB 5.2.  MariaDB 5.3 has also things from MySQL 5.1, 5.5 and 6.0
and things that is not in any MySQL version.

Regards,
Monty