RQG

Hi Philip,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 03:34:41PM +0300, Philip Stoev wrote:
>> - Our chances of making Random Query Generator a little bit friendlier for
>>  bug analyzers/fixers.
>
> Hi,
>
> Can you list specific issues that you are having or specific bug numbers
> that were not filed properly?

I can't say that any bugs were filed improperly. All ones I've dealt with so
far were 'proper', i.e. contained sufficient amount of info for me to
reproduce and work on the bug. However, it seems there are some possible
improvements that could be made (and it makes sense to do them because
currently bugfixing is the bottleneck, not testing)

> I already have a list of things from Igor, so if you give me your list, I
> will try to dedicate specific time to make things more user-friendly.

Here it goes:

- Backtick quotes are redundant and must be gone. I've never seen a single
  RQG-reported bug where the quotes were really necessary. Yet, they are there
  and make the queries longer than necessary. We have to manually delete them.
- Redundant spaces are also annoying, a typical excerpt looks like (all spaces
  kept):

    table1 . `col_varchar_key` )

  which, again, also forces developer to delete all of the spaces manually.

- It would be nice if tables were called t0,t1,t2,...  as mysql-test-run
  guidelines specify

- It would be nice if testcase simplification removed irrelevant columns from
  the tables. If it is not possible to remove them (I guess the reason is that
  the table size changes and the optimizer choses different QEP), then they
  should be replaced with one CHAR(N) column.

- I understand the following might be difficult to achieve: it would be
  extremely nice if the SELECT statement that caused the crash is was
  pretty-printed (i.e. with identation that would make the structure of
  FROM/WHERE clauses apparent).
  If this is too difficult, no need to spend time on this.

BR
 Sergey
--
Sergey Petrunia, Software Developer