Re: Volunteer my machine for buildbot and database with test results

Haidong Ji <haidong.ji@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Per information shown on URL below, with relevant paragraph pasted,
> I'd love to volunteer to run a build slave and other tests.

Thanks!

> Let me know how to participate, such as:
>
> Will an old laptop work?

Yes. Especially if it has good amounts of memory (1GByte is probably minimum).

> If so, what do you need? What do I need to do on my side?

You need to install and setup the Buildbot client. There is some documentation
for how to do this here:

    http://kb.askmonty.org/v/buildbot-setup

The full Buildbot manual (with tons of detail) is here:

    http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/0.7.12/index.html

Send me some details of the machine and operating systems, and I will supply
you with login credentials for the client against the Buildbot server.

> Does it mean that I need to leave my machine on all the time?

Yes.

> What if a reboot happens while it is being used?

Then the active build will fail, with a message that the client disconnected
in the middle of the build. It is not a disaster, but it is annoying if it
happens frequently. (Our Buildbot does not yet have the ability to
automatically retry builds that fail in this way).