Re: pre-allocating binlog to speed up sync_binlog=1

Hi Mark

On 23/12/2010, at 6:19 AM, MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Arjen Lentz <arjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Mark, all

On 21/12/2010, at 12:51 PM, MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:

It would be nice if pre-allocated binlog files were possible, but
performance results from ext-3 overstates the benefit to be had. If
you care about performance with the binlog enabled then don't use
ext-3:
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=194501560932

Not surprising, however in many environments deployments get stuck with
ext3, so I do think there's benefit for the real world.

Arjen,

The question isn't whether this has a real world benefit. Lots of
changes do. The question is whether this is worth the effort to fix
given the many other problems that could be fixed and who is going to
fund that fix. This is a big change to replication internals.

right well that's good to know - about it being a big change... the patch in any case looked overly complicated in terms of approach, so I figured perhaps a simpler way would be ok. Clients were interested so funding might be ok. But indeed, lots of things could be even more useful.
we'll see.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Remote expertise & maintenance for MySQL/MariaDB server environments.

Follow us at http://openquery.com/blog/ & http://twitter.com/openquery