Re: Windows installer MWL#55 finished.

From: Peter Laursen [mailto:peter_laursen@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Dienstag, 1. Februar 2011 23:24
To: Vladislav Vaintroub
Cc: maria-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Maria-developers] Windows installer MWL#55 finished.

> Then I have a good question! If I install MariaDB with "mysqld -install' command from the .zip distribution under what user account will the service run (SYSTEM or NETWORK) ?  I guess that in this respect MariaDB code is not different from MySQL? :-)

I did not do anything here. Likely, this can be allowed for out distributions.
However
"mysqld --install" allows --defaults-file parameter, and this is where it gets hairy. If --defaults-file points to ini file of an existing MySQL installation ,it is well possible that files mysqld.exe will access do not have ACL that allows write access by NetworkService. That is, the service might not start at all complaining about no write access  (typically happens with innodb). It is not impossible to fix the ACLs, however it is also not very  simple to enumerate all files and directories that constitute an existing database.  Datadir and all subdirectories does not yield all files in all cases. Temp directory, innodb-data-home (or whatever was the name), innodb file-per-table. Does PBXT have its data home, I do not know, but for example Falcon (R.I.P) used to have one.

In general,  this is can of worms.

MariaDB has a better way to create a database instance (on US-English Windows right now ;) that gives you a way not only to specify service name, but also data directory,  password for root user and port

>From elevated console, issue

your new service is there
 sc start <service>

and it runs (securely, as NetworkService,  also with  root password)  It has created my.ini in data directory. This my.ini can be modified by user who created the database  using  (attention!) a *non-elevated* Notepad :)   Functionally I see it as an improvement over good ole ConfigWizard. In terms of nice UI or parameter tuning, it is not there yet

>And also there seems to be no 64 bit .zip?

No clue. You'll need to ask the list about it, I cannot talk about existing distributions, it was all before my time here.