Re: Preparing to release MariaDB 5.2.7

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:55:03 +0300
Michael Widenius <monty@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Monty>
Monty> Hi!

Hello!

Monty> >>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Bartholomew <dbart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Monty> >>>>> writes:

Daniel> Monty,
Daniel> I saw your note about the new MariaDB 5.2.7 release
Daniel> being ready, but it looks like the "mariadb-5.2.7" tag
Daniel> has not been added to the 5.2 tree on launchpad. Can
Daniel> you or one of the other developers add it? I need the
Daniel> tag as part of my process for creating the changelog.

Monty> I have added it to the source built and pushed it.
Monty> If the newest build is green, I will push the tag.
Monty>
Monty> Note that tagging the repository can be done any time. (even
Monty> after the release is done). What was missing was updating the
Monty> 'configure.in' to 5.2.7 so that mysqld --version would report
Monty> 5.2.7;  This needs to be done before release.

Ok, I'll watch for the tag to appear in the source, and when it does
I'll assume the tagged revision is the one to release.

In the mean time, I'll get the Release Notes and Changelogs written.

Anything notable I should be sure to mention in the Release Notes for
this release?

Daniel> Apart from that, I just need to determine which
Daniel> buildbot build is the correct one.
Daniel>
Daniel> Kristian,
Daniel> You sent me some instructions a while back for how to
Daniel> do this but I can't remember them. I guess you've
Daniel> spoiled me by usually just telling me the build
Daniel> number. :) Can you send the instructions to me again?

Monty> The correct one is usually (if nothing else is said) the last
Monty> green one in:
Monty>
Monty> http://buildbot.askmonty.org/buildbot/grid?branch=5.2
Monty>
Monty> (Especially if it's not tagged)

Yes, that's a good indicator. However, as a non-developer, I like to be
absolutely sure I'm grabbing the right files. :)

I found Kristian's email that he sent me a long while back regarding
how to determine the correct build number for a release. The link he
gave me was this one (well, he gave me a 5.1 link, so I've updated it to
5.2):

http://buildbot.askmonty.org/buildbot/grid?branch=5.2&category=package

It's similar to yours, but shows just the package builders.

Kristian: Using what you sent me a while back, I've added some
instructions on determining build numbers for releases to the bottom of:
http://kb.askmonty.org/v/release-process (note #6). Can you look at it
and let me know if it is correct? Feel free to make any needed changes.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Bartholomew
MariaDB - http://mariadb.org