Re: MariaDB in EPEL

Hi!

On 20 Jun 2011, at 10:42, Marian Marinov wrote:

> On Monday 20 June 2011 05:27:28 Colin Charles wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> On 19 Jun 2011, at 21:22, Marian Marinov wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I wish to package MariaDB for the EPEL repository.
>>> I have searched a bit to see if there were any efforts in that direction
>>> but I saw none.
>>>
>>> In 2009 there was some talk about MariaDB and Fedora, but that was it,
>>> only some talk.
>>>
>>> I have the time to prepare and test the MariaDB RPMs and to continue
>>> support them later.
>>>
>>> My idea is to have MariaDB RPMs as replacements of the default mysql
>>> installation. In order to do so, I first want the approval of the MariaDB
>>> developers.
>>
>> This would be most kind!
>>
>> Please, lets get into EPEL, and there is no need for approval, just much
>> happiness. Let me know if there's anything we can do to help
>>

> Currently its a policy problem with the EPEL since if I build the MariaDB as a
> replacement package for the base mysql, I will be breaking the policy of the
> EPEL repo. However if I make it as a separate package that will reside under
> /usr/local they may approve the package.

Yes, the policy isn't kind to packages that currently conflicts with something currently in the base packages... This is the main problem we face with EPEL, Fedora, etc. This is unfortunately the problem of being a drop-in replacement

Remember, even if its a separate package in /usr/local/, you've got to think about the fact of:
* /etc/my.cnf
* data files
* similar port being used by default (3306)

So even if the base location is changed, you can't have both mysqld from MariaDB and MySQL running as there will be a conflict on who uses the port. We can change the default port, but that would be sub-optimal

Only way I really see it is there has to be a conflict :(

> But we still discuss that in the EPEL mailing list.

I'm happy to come on board and chime in as well... I'd prefer not to be on another mailing list, but this is important for us. We need distributions!

> Colin I understood from Karanbir that you are also working on the packages for
> the CentOS plus repo. If you want I can also take over the maintainership of
> the packages for CentOS plus.

This would be awesome. The idea is better when we have people in the community maintain packages

Tell Karanbir I said hi, and I sincerely hope we get some CentOS 6 builds going... RHEL is working on 6.1 already as it is

	cheers,
	-c
--
Colin Charles, http://bytebot.net/blog/ | twitter: @bytebot | skype: colincharles
MariaDB: Community developed. Feature enhanced. Backward compatible.