Re: mariadb-server not installable on Debian Testing AMD64

Thomas Hackert <thackert@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> [....] Starting MariaDB database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . . FAIL . . . . . . . failed!
> invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.

The problem is a failure while starting the server.

You need to find the error messages in the server error log. On my system
(Debian testing) it is in /var/log/daemon.log. Find the messages logged by
mysqld, and if they do not provide you the answer immediately, send them to
the list.

Often such problems are existing /etc/mysql/my.cnf and/or old data directory
that are incompatible. If you are *sure* you do not need any existing data,
you can also try to purge (remove is not enough) all mysql/mariadb related
packages and try install again. This will *remove* any existing database and
let you try a fresh start.

Else check the error messages and probably the problem can be corrected.