Re: accelerating CREATE TABLE

Toshikuni Fukaya <toshikuni-fukaya@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I want to know whether this patch is correct, and if so, could I ask you
> to merge this to Maria?

Sorry that we have not had time to get back to you. There is a lot going on at
the moment, but the whole point of MariaDB is to be a place where the
community can work together on the codebase. So it is important that we be
responsive.

I will try to review the patch this week. I am not familiar with this area of
the code, so it would help me if you could provide some additional
information.

 - You mention CREATE TABLE, but I assume the patch actually speeds up
   creation of a new tablespace, right? Is it used for the creation of all
   tablespaces, or only for tablespaces used for tables when
   --innodb-file-per-table=1?

 - I think InnoDB has the option to auto-extend tablespaces, as well as create
   new ones. Does this patch handle both creating new and autoextension? Or
   only the former?

 - Do you consider the patch complete? Or do you have ideas for how it could
   be extended, perhaps in a future version?

 - Is there any other interaction with other parts of the code in InnoDB (or
   the server) that you are aware of?

 - Did you get any useful feedback (and if so, what) when you tried posting
   this to the internals@xxxxxxxxx mailing list? Or just the extremely
   arrogant "we do not like the patch and we will not say why" that was
   replied on the public list?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your efforts so far, and I will try to get back to
you at the end of the week.