Re: mariadb-server not installable on Debian Testing AMD64

Thomas Hackert <thackert@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> It seems, that it is a problem to try to stop a non-installed server
> before starting it, or am I wrong ;?

It does not look like the problem is stopping the server. The error is about a
failure to *start* the server.

> I had tested it a little bit further. My findings so far:
> 1. I started the purging of mariadb and its dependencies again.
> 2. Started to install mariadb-server again. Still the same error message
> ... :(
> 3. Purged it again, removed all founded mysql files and directories, and
> tried to install mariadb-server again, but to no avail ... :(

Ok, I was going to suggest moving away (or deleting if you don't need it)
anything in /etc/mysql/ and /var/lib/mysql/ and /var/log/mysql/. But seems you
already tried this, and it did not work...

> /If/ there would be any ... :( Would it be of any help, if I install a
> logging daemon (not sure, why I have no syslogd and/or alternatives of
> it installed ... :( I was pretty sure, that some progs need to log every

Hm, I wonder if this is related. The server logs messages to syslog for .deb
packages. I am not sure of the exact mechanism though. I wonder if the server
tries to log to syslog, this gives an error because of no syslog present, and
this is what causes the server start to fail?

There is not much I can say without a better idea of why the server fails to
start. One thing you could try is to try and start the server manually after
the install fails:

    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start

You can try with strace -f to spot why it fails, or you can edit
/etc/init.d/mysql to make it more verbose in an attempt to spot what causes
the problem. Stuff like that.

Or is there a way for me to reproduce the problem myself?