Re: MariaDB plugin interface and embedded library compatibility

Hi!

Honza> Hi guys,
Honza> I'm not able to find any information about compatibility assurance of
Honza> server side -- i.e plugin interface and libmysqld.so library. I expect
Honza> both should have stable API at least for one minor version across bugfix
Honza> releases, but I don't believe that libmysqld.so is able to preserve ABI
Honza> compatibility, since the set of exported symbols there is really huge.

Honza> Can you, please, provide some simple statement (ideally as an article)
Honza> what is your best afford and if we can expect API/ABI of
Honza> plugin/libmysqld.so interfaces?

A lot of the symbols in libmysqld.so comes from the internals of
MariaDB and these may change from release to release.

What is not changing, except between major releases, is the structures
and calls to the libmysqlclient interface.

In other words, if you are using libmysqld.so as a standalone database
using the client interface, things are not usually changing between
minor releases.

If you are using internal structures in libmysqld, like THD, then you
have to recompile your code for each releases.

I have now adde the above in an kb article at:
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/embedded-mariadb-interface/

Regards,
Monty