Re: first results from replication benchmarks

Michael Widenius wrote:

> Axel> The benchmark is sysbench OLTP rw, data set fitting in memory. I tested a
> Axel> total of 27 configurations, 9 each for Maria-5.5.36, Maria-10.0.9 and
> Axel> MySQL-5.6.16. Variations were for binlog on/off, SBR vs. RBR and
> Axel> sync_binlog=0/1. For MariaDB I also tested XtraDB vs. InnoDB, for MySQL it
> Axel> was GTID on vs. GTID off.
>
> <cut>
>
> Axel> Next step is applying binlogs to a slave with different settings for number
> Axel> of slave threads etc.
>
> So the current benchmark was when using one slave thread?

This was without any slave. Just running sysbench vs. the master, to make it
write a binlog.

> When trying parallel replication, remember to test both when doing
> updates in one databases and in many databases.

I have modified sysbench to use multiple databases (configurable). For this
test I used 32 databases with 4 tables each.

> One reason GTID could be slow on MySQL 5.6 is that it will automaticly
> enable the binary log on the slave.
> Do you think this is the case?

Unfortunately this result was *wrong* :(

Somehow the machine was configured to use the "ondemand" cpufreq scheduler.
Not sure if I was that myself or if somebody else was on the machine. This
is also the reason for the unnormal degradation at lower concurrencies. I
have now rerun the benchmark and now there is only a very small penalty for
enabling GTID.

I attach the plot again and now also the spreadsheet.

XL

GIF image