Re: [GSoC] Accepted student ready to work : )

Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> note, that two *different* revisions got the same revno! And the changes
> from the first revision are completely and totally lost, there is no way
> to retrieve from from anywhere.

Indeed.

But note that in main trees (5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.5, and 10.0), this cannot occur,
since we have set the append_revision_only option (or "append_revisions_only",
can't remember). This prevents a revision number from changing, once pushed.

So in main trees, the revision number _should_ in fact be unique.

> Revision-id is the only unique identifier for a revision, unfortunately,
> it's not logged in these tables. I believe we'll change buildbot so that
> revid would be logged in the future. But so far it wasn't needed, and
> this is one of the defects in the data.

I actually wanted to log it when I wrote the code. The problem is that the
revision-id is not available to buildbot when the change is received from
Launchpad. I even asked the bzr/launchpad developers to provide the revid: so
it could be logged. The answer I got was that it is a deliberate feature to
hide the revision id :-(

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/419057

So I don't think we will get revid in Buildbot. Of course, if we go to git, we
will not have this problem anymore, as it always uses a consistent, stable
revision identifier.

Hope this helps,