Re: [GSoC] Introduction Mail

Hi,

I had been busy with my exams (which got finished today). I'll come up with
more detailed working plan and doubts in a couple of days.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Anshu!
>
> So, how do we start?

Till now, I have not done much. I had started exploring the code for
optimizer but stopped mid-way and started to read the book "Inside the SQL
Server Query Optimizer" for a better understanding of how the optimizer
works.

I see you're often present on irc, which is great.

(I go by nick igniting)

> You've looked at the code, what do you think?
>
> Do you understand how different parts of this feature fit together?
>
> We can start from just one constant (global or per-engine) and see how
> it'll work.

I had started exploring tmptable_create_cost.
In sql/sql_const.h: HEAP_TEMPTABLE_CREATE_COST is defined to be 2.0 and
DISK_TEMPTABLE_CREATE_COST as 40.0. As discussed on irc with serg, I'll
start to profile this constant (which I have not started yet).

> And, by the way, when you start coding (May 19) or earlier, as you
> prefer, I would like to start seeing some kind of weekly updates from
> you. In email or in your blog - whatever you feel more comfortable with.

Blog updates should be fine.

Regards,
> Sergei

Regards