innodb-buffer-pool-instances confusion

I was chatting with some folks on IRC and someone pointed this out to me.

On the "Upgrading From MariaDB 5.5 to MariaDB 10.0" page, it says that
the new default value for innodb-buffer-pool-instances is '0':

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/upgrading-from-mariadb-55-to-mariadb-100/

And when I run the following, it says the default is indeed '0':

mysqld --no-defaults --verbose --help | grep innodb-buffer-pool-instances
innodb-buffer-pool-instances                               0

But when I'm in the client, I get the following:

MariaDB [(none)]> select @@innodb_buffer_pool_instances;
+--------------------------------+
| @@innodb_buffer_pool_instances |
+--------------------------------+
|                              8 |
+--------------------------------+

So when innodb-buffer-pool-instances is set to '0', does that mean the
actual value is dynamic or calculated in some way based on my other
settings?

Just trying to understand what's going on, and once I do, use it to
update the XtraDB/InnoDB buffer-pool page (which doesn't appear to
have been updated for 10.0).

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/xtradbinnodb-buffer-pool/

Thanks!

--
Daniel Bartholomew, MariaDB Release Manager
MariaDB | http://mariadb.com

Follow ups