Re: mariadb native client -- how to call RPMs?

Hello!

> in Fedora, we're about to package mariadb-native-client, which we'd like to
> utilize in Fedora as much as possible since using this piece of software we
> can break the dependency on whole mariadb server package and thus make the
> base system more compact.

Interesting. I am thinking [1] if I should in Debian dump the whole
libmariadbclient18 package and depend on the the new 'libmariadb2'
instead.

> However, since mariadb.org does not provide RPMs yet, I'm wondering what
> would be the best name for such RPM package. The tar ball is called
> mariadb_client.tar.gz but the project is called mariadb-native-client on
> launchpad, which I like more btw. because it differs more from
> mariadb-client package (which is actually a subpackage of mariadb).
>
> So, is mariadb-native-client a good choice or is there a better one?

In Debian the source package is called mariadb-client-lgpl [2] and the
resulting binariy packages are:
libmariadb-client-lgpl-dev
libmariadb-client-lgpl-dev-compat
libmariadb2

I agree that mariadb-client-native or mariadb-native-client would
'sound' better. Or maybe mariadb-client-2.0 to signify that it is
newer and an improvement over previous 1.8.

[1] https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-5482
[2] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mariadb-client-lgpl