Re: [GSoC] MDEV-4674 Port InnoDB memcached interface to MariaDB

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Colin Charles <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 24 Mar 2015, at 22:06, Jonas Oreland <jonaso@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Would it make sense to build a memcache plugin on top of the handler
> interface rather directly into innodb ?
> > That way it "just work" for any storage engine.
> >

> Would that not reduce the performance that the InnoDB memcached plugin now
> offers?

i think that performance reduction would be minimal *iff* providing equally
good implementations.
however, it's easier to make it on top of a API that you know better...i
think that is why innodb made it on top of innodb.

> Also, if the idea is to make it more secure, and differ from MySQL's
> implementation (i.e. make it better), if we can get similar performance
> from the HANDLER interface, why not?
> (I was under the impression we just wanted to port it, to have feature
> compatibility; but can't argue with better)

i have no opinion about "why", just made a suggestion on "how".

/Jonas