Re: Check constraints

Hi, Martijn!

On Jan 10, Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) wrote:
> Hello Sergei,
> >On Jan 09, Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Where can I find meta information for check constraints on tables?
> >
> >You can see the list of check constraints in
> >INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLE_CONSTRAINTS table.
>
> I noticed they are listed, yes, but not with a definition.
>
> >Individual constraint definitions are currently only visible in SHOW
> >CREATE TABLE.
>
> Well, that is... not quite ideal.

Yes :(
That's why MDEV-14474 was created.

> >They'll be in INFORMATION_SCHEMA.CHECK_CONSTRAINTS when
> >https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-14474 will be implemented.
>
> But version 10.2 is the release version, right? I'm surprised that
> this has been released without such functionality. As a tool developer
> and as a database developer, I'd say this MDEV-14474 would be a
> requirement before a stable release is ready.

It was, unfortunately, overlooked, because neither the server itself nor
any tools that we ship needed that table. And no tool developer
mentioned this issue before 10.2 became GA.

We still can add this table even to 10.2 (I've just changed the target
version for MDEV-14474 from 10.3 to 10.2).

> I've checked with both MySQL and MariaDB 10.2, this 12 year old issue
> hasn't changed either:
> https://lists.mysql.com/internals/25437

It's https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-13805 and we plan to fix it
rather soon (much sooner than in the next 12 years :).

But note that SHOW CREATE VIEW cannot simply show the original
view definition instead of the generated one. There must be some
new way to show the original view definition.
If you have any thoughts about how this new way should look like,
feel free to add them to MDEV-13805.

> Meta data information is very important.

I know. It's just not always easy to think like a tool developer, so the
feedback is very important too. Thanks!

Chief Architect MariaDB
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx