Re: Wording suggestion?

Hi, Russell!

On Jan 30, Russell J.T. Dyer wrote:
> How about concurrent_assign ?

I think "concurrent" already has a clear meaning, at least in MariaDB -
operations are done "concurrently" if they're executed truly in
parallel, usually in different threads. For example, both MyISAM and
InnoDB allow concurrent SELECTs, but only InnoDB allows concurrent UPDATEs.

I considered simultaneous_assign, as a slightly shorter alternative to
simultaneous_assignment. But it looked somewhat unnatural to me.

Still, this is the case when I happily yield to the opinion of a
documentation writer :) If you think that simultaneous_assign looks
just fine, I'll use it.

> > It's not only for update. There is a patch to fix SELECT ... INTO,
> > and I suppose we'll have "simultaneous assignment" behavior
> > everywhere eventually.
> >
> > So, I'm leaning towards either simultaneous_assignment or
> > simultaneous_set as mode names. The first is more exact, but it's
> > rather long (sql_mode names range from 3 to 26 characters, and this
> > one is 23).  The second (with 16) fits right in the middle of the
> > range, length-wise.  But there's no SET keyword in SELECT ... INTO.
> > On the other hand, there's no ASSIGNMENT keyword anywhere either :)

Chief Architect MariaDB
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx