Re: [beginner] how can I assign an existing ticket to myself?

Hello.

I can't help you with Jira because I do not know answers.

But I know you just can write some patch and submit it on github.
Guide is here https://mariadb.org/get-involved/getting-started-for-developers/

Feel free to ask any question in that mailing list.