Re: bf32018be96: Added support for VISIBLE attribute for indexes in CREATE TABLE

Hi, Michael!

On Apr 16, Michael Widenius wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 1:17 PM Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Apr 13, Michael Widenius wrote:
> > > revision-id: bf32018be96 (mariadb-10.5.2-126-gbf32018be96)
> > > parent(s): 62c2d0f3e1f
> > > author: Michael Widenius <monty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > committer: Michael Widenius <monty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > timestamp: 2020-04-09 01:37:02 +0300
> > > message:
> > >
> > > Added support for VISIBLE attribute for indexes in CREATE TABLE
> > >
> > > MDEV-22199 Add VISIBLE attribute for indexes in CREATE TABLE
> > >
> > > This was done to make it easier to read in dumps from MySQL 8.0
> >
> > This is not a "dump from MySQL 8.0". It is an SQL export file
> > generated by MySQL Workbench. And MySQL Workbench has a
> > configuration option whether to put this VISIBLE in the sql file or
> > not.
>
> It's a dump from MySQL 8.0 done by workbench. I don't know if the
> configuration is default or not, but I don't see any reason to not
> support it as others can make easily the same mistake.

It's not a dump at all. I've installed MySQL Workbench and I did not
install any MySQL server, it's not needed here. One can simply design a
schema in the Workbench and export it as SQL.

Workbench has a configuration option what MySQL version should it export
for. If one tells "generate me a dump for MySQL 8.0.19", it'll be a dump
using MySQL 8.0.19 keywords, including VISIBLE. If one tells Workbench
to generate a dump for MySQL 5.7 then there will be no VISIBLE and it'll
load just fine.

This is totally a client configuration issue. We cannot fully support
8.0.19 syntax anyway, and I don't see why to add a nop syntax for a
feature that we don't support when it's a clear case of a user
generating a dump for the wrong target version.

VP of MariaDB Server Engineering
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx