Re: ef2519fee4e: MDEV-16546 System versioning setting to allow history modification

Hi Sergei!

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:29 PM Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Aleksey!

> > > I'm sorry, I don't understand.
> > >
> > > First, visibility is pretty much unrelated concept.
> > > row_start/row_end can be visible or invisible, and they can be
> > > writable or not writable - those are orthogonal concepts.
> >
> > To be able to specify them in INSERT command they must be at least
> > user-invisible. System-invisible fields are ignored.
>
> Sure, that's what @@system_versioning_insert_history would do.

That's not about permission of inserting history which can be
controlled by @@secure_timestamp setting. But rather that's about
allowing to put system-invisible fields into INSERT command. You can
suggest a better name for it.

> > > And second, the name is wrong, there are no "fields" row_start and
> > > row_end unless the user creates then explicitly. They are pieces of
> > > metadata that every row has, something that Oracle, for example,
> > > calls "pseudocolumns". Something like
> > > @@system_versioning_row_start_row_end_visible would be more correct,
> > > but ugly. In fact, I'd say that @@system_versioning_insert_history
> > > was the best one.
> >
> > I think you are complicating things where complication is not needed.
> > Pseudo- or not they are fields.
>
> No, this is internal implementation detail that can change and it should
> not leak into the UI. Like, sql_select.cc has a function called
> sub_select(), but we never tell users that what it does is "subselect",
> not in the documentation, not in error messages, never. Because it
> doesn't (it performs one step in a nested-loop join).

Every concept should have a proper application. I don't think "double
design" in hiding system versioning fields adds any value. I can not
be sure about "subselect" design, but I suspect it will never be
replaced by anything else. In any case each and every solution should
be judged by whether it adds usability (i.e. ease of use) or not. I
have a suspicion that the current design of hidden row_start/row_end
adds more obstacles to a user than helps him.

> The fact that some internal enum value is named INVISIBLE_SYSTEM
> is not something that should affect the user visible behavior.
>
> > Besides, the variable is not about system versioning. It can make any
> > system-invisible fields visible.
>
> Which is incorrect. ROWNUM (MDEV-24089) is a pseudocolumn, and it cannot
> be "visible" in the sense of @force_fields_visible. We don't support
> ROWID, but if we would — it cannot be visible in the sense of
> @force_fields_visible either. Basically this variable can only apply to
> row_start/row_end pseudocolumns, despite its generic name.

That is just the subject for a new feature request, isn't it? In any
case, please suggest a different name. I can think of
@@system_versioning_show_row_timestamps but this looks a bit long to
me.

--
All the best,