Re: 6768e3a2830: MDEV-22166 MIGRATE PARTITION: move out partition into a table

Hi Sergei!

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 5:13 PM Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Aleksey!
>
> On Sep 01, Aleksey Midenkov wrote:

> > > We have IF_XXX for many different XXX. IF_DBUG was created to follow
> > > this convention. Anytime you see a macro IF_XXX you know what it does.
> > > Let's keep it that way.
> >
> > We also use DBUG_ prefix for debug things. IF_DBUG() scheme is
> > superfluous as only a1 used in most cases. So if renamed to DBUG_DO()
> > or just to DBUG() the scheme is not broken and the code looks nicer.
> > Please have a glance at the patch attached.
>
> I did. I also grepped include/ for IF_[A-Z]+, we have
>
> IF_WIN, IF_EMBEDDED, IF_PARTITIONING, IF_WSREP, IF_DBUG, IF_VALGRIND
>
> together they're used on 165 lines. It would be very unhelpful, if
> IF_DBUG would suddenly deviate from this scheme and would become a
> special exception to remember.

Okay, I'm not going to change that. Though IF_DBUG() AFAIR is used
naturally only in a couple of lines. The dozen of other IF_DBUG() uses
are only with one argument.

So, do you still think DBUG_IF() makes confusion with IF_DBUG()?

> > > It correct grammar. Messages looking bad otherwise.
> >
> > But we are talking only about code names and they are not visible to a
> > user, are they?
> > Even SQL itself does use the short form "NOT EXISTS". :)
>
> it's IF NOT EXISTS, but it does indeed.
> Okay, if you keep backward compatibility defines, you
> can rename them.

Updated.

--
All the best,