Re: Additional promise to the MCA

Hi Monty

On 08/10/2009, at 8:48 AM, Michael Widenius wrote:
Arjen> Dual would only make sense for discrete/distinct components, but even
Arjen> there it might be easier to just have it be GPL or BSD.

This is for the case where the customer does not want to have the code
under GPL. BSD is not an option as then they could release the code
and we would not have any dual-license revenue anymore.

I regard the traditional dual licensing (in this context) as a non- viable revenue model. If it's custom code, have user pay for it and license code as GPL or BSD. If it's BSD, they can also use it in commercial - you could charge extra for making it BSD rather than GPL, for instance.

Arjen> People come back to the original company for expertise/ customisation
Arjen> anyway, as they're the experts. As long as the service is good.
Arjen> There's also no incentive to like republish stuff, as that wouldn't be Arjen> the core business of the client company. They wouldn't have interest
Arjen> in that.

If you are successful, there is always someone who will take advantage of you...

Some will, so be it.
They'd have to be a customer first to do this (with the above example) and you wouldn't keep them as a customer anyway, so there's no real loss. In general, people will act properly - particularly if the environment is *perceived* as fair to them.

Look for example at MySQL;  If they would license their GPL code as
BSD, they would at once loose all their licensing business.

Good. I wish Sun/MySQL all the best and success, and for their own good their old licensing has to cease.
It is still causing a lot of bad publicity.
It also rips off users/clients, because unscrupulus Sun/MySQL sales people selling licenses where none are required. By stopping it, this would make a clear statement that Sun does not support that kind of behaviour.

It's no longer part of a legitimate business model, it's turned out as a devious scam. Furthermore, people *perceive* it as a scam, and thus it's not interesting for you or I to be doing something similar. "Dual Licensing" in the sphere of MySQL is a no-winner. Just drop it and lead by example.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Exceptional Services for MySQL at a fixed budget.

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org