Re: Josh Berkus on community

On 19.01.2010, at 07:12, Kurt von Finck wrote:

> Nice set of points on bad community management raised by Josh Berkus.
>
> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/370157/31a2534da9d465d3/
>
> Do you disagree with any? Are there any things you would add? Do you
> think our projects suffer from any of these problems, and what
> constructive criticism do you have?

We have had issue #1 "depend on difficult tools", but that is already
solved with our switch to bzr.

> Also, is there stuff you'd like to see the Maria community do?
>
> I think these points are a good jumping-off point to make sure we do
> things right.

I would add as #11 Develop a closed and open source version of your
software and only listen to feature request of your closed source
customers.

Overall we got a lot better than MySQL was in 2004/2005.

Best regards,

Hakan

--
Hakan Küçükyılmaz, QA/Benchmark Engineer, Stuttgart/Germany
Monty Program Ab, http://askmonty.org/