Re: What is the future of MariaDB

Hi!

>>>>> "Joshua" == Joshua Partogi <jpartogi@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Joshua> All,
Joshua> Many people were feeling uncertain whether to use MySQL when Sun was bought
Joshua> by Oracle. I was one of those people and that is why I chose MariaDB for my
Joshua> product now. But I need to know what is the plan for MariaDB in the future?
Joshua> Would there be any chance that MariaDB will be sold to another company just
Joshua> like MySQL got sold to Sun? Or would MariaDB always be a community owned?

Monty Program Ab, who is driving MariaDB is setup as an employee owned
company.  You can easily verify it from here:
http://askmonty.org/wiki/The_hacking_business_model

This is reflected in everyones employee contract and in how we work
every day.

This means, in practice, is that Monty Program Ab is not setup as a
company that is to be sold as there is no big profit any owner can get
by selling it.  Instead our plan for the future is to get enough
income so that we can all afford to spend all our time on working on
MariaDB development.

>From our page of how we work with the community
http://askmonty.org/wiki/Working_with_the_community you can see that
we are totally devoted to working on Open Source;  All code we do for
MariaDB will be available under an Open Source license.

There is no hidden agenda, but we instead subscribe to total
transparence in everything we do.

Personally I never founded Monty Program Ab or MariaDB for the money.
(The way the project and company it's setup should prove the without
any doubt); I found these to ensure that there is always a free
version of MySQL and to ensure that the MySQL core developers who feel
the same has a good place to work on this.

Hope the above answers your questions.

Regards,
Monty
CEO of Monty Program Ab, Creator of MySQL and MariaDB