Re: What is the future of MariaDB

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:07 AM, Michael Widenius <monty@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!

> Joshua> All,
> Joshua> Many people were feeling uncertain whether to use MySQL when Sun was bought
> Joshua> by Oracle. I was one of those people and that is why I chose MariaDB for my
> Joshua> product now. But I need to know what is the plan for MariaDB in the future?
> Joshua> Would there be any chance that MariaDB will be sold to another company just
> Joshua> like MySQL got sold to Sun? Or would MariaDB always be a community owned?
>
> Monty Program Ab, who is driving MariaDB is setup as an employee owned
> company.  You can easily verify it from here:
> http://askmonty.org/wiki/The_hacking_business_model
>
> This is reflected in everyones employee contract and in how we work
> every day.
>
> This means, in practice, is that Monty Program Ab is not setup as a
> company that is to be sold as there is no big profit any owner can get
> by selling it.  Instead our plan for the future is to get enough
> income so that we can all afford to spend all our time on working on
> MariaDB development.

The content in that URL states that MPAB employees have shared
copyright on their contributions. I assume that MPAB has shared
copyright on all contributions. Couldn't someone buy MPAB to get shard
copyright to all contributions and the MariaDB trademarks?

I don't question your intent but I don't see how MPAB cannot be sold
or would not have value.

--
Mark Callaghan
mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx